XboxLeaders

Xbox LIVE API Version 2.0 is underway!

A while ago, I had challenged myself to nitpick and poke at the code for the API, and in doing so, find ways to improve upon response time and server resource usage. I can proudly say that those challenges have been met, or are close to being met. At this time, I would like to announce that the Xbox LIVE API is now entering into Version 2.0.

This change will not be immediate, and will be slowly phasing out Version 1.1 (The current version) over the next 6 months. To get an idea as to what will be changing, take a look at the current changelog.

• Caching times decreased to 1800 seconds (30 minutes) for fresher results on each query
  • Caching engine converted from File-based caching to Memcached to increase effectiveness and resource usage
  • Improved login code for faster results when fetching data
  • URI format changed to a more semantic layout (updated in 1.1 current)
  • Accepting of POST as well as GET requests
  • Added a parameter to return results based on region
  • Added method to authenticate users for more personalized results
  • Added method to send/read messages via Xbox LIVE
  • Added method to search games from the Xbox LIVE Marketplace
  • Added method to validate gamertags without calling more data than needed
  • Made error messages more clear as to what caused the error
  • Added CSV (Comma-Separated Values) as a returnable format
  • Added SSL-Safe avatar images

As you can see, I've been very busy. And there are still some more features that I am working on rolling out as well, but I will not divulge their secrets just yet.

Some things you can look forward to that I will note are:

• Secure browsing (https) for API
  • OAuth Authentication with Microsoft and Windows Live for messaging purposes. No personal data is stored.

Hopefully, I will have a stable version to put out for public use, but as of right now some elements are too unstable to be put under such stresses at the moment.

Make sure to follow us on Twitter and register here on the forums to keep up with the latest news.

Thanks for your time,

- Jason

@jasonclemons

• 5 weeks later...

Just found this a few days ago and I'm quite excited. Unfortunately none of the tracking sites open up their data for individuals like myself, who'd like to play with the raw data themselves.

Thanks to this, and a PSN API I found, I can finally do just that.

It sounds like you guys went down and came back up, so hopefully however you're getting your data it's legit enough that we can depend upon the service.

Just found this a few days ago and I'm quite excited. Unfortunately none of the tracking sites open up their data for individuals like myself, who'd like to play with the raw data themselves.

Thanks to this, and a PSN API I found, I can finally do just that.

It sounds like you guys went down and came back up, so hopefully however you're getting your data it's legit enough that we can depend upon the service.

Our API is by no means "official", and yes we are technically breaking the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use Agreement in doing so. But, we do believe our service is reliable enough to provide to the public for use, or we wouldn't have offered it.

The main reason the API was taken down was due to some legalese from Microsoft as well as the server costs increasing, of which I was unable to fund at the time. It has all been corrected now, and things are looking good for the future!

We have actually submitted an application for the Xbox Community Developer Program, as well as attempting to ask Microsoft and Xbox if they would be willing to add more data to their current "official" API, as there is a lot of data our API offers that theirs doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...